Saturday, May 7, 2011

Great Excuses

Whenever we are wondering how we should act the best example to look to is of course Jesus.  Being God incarnate, He never sinned.  Not one of the rest of us can be that perfect.  BUT, if we don't aim high we won't amount to much.  I hear a lot of excuses that we as humans give, and I am ashamed that I use excuses myself from time to time.  "I just have a strong personality - so I come across as rude.", "I'm sick today, so I'm in a bad mood.", "I've been cleaning up all day so I have a right to snap at my husband and kids.", "I got bad news, so everyone should understand that I'm extra cranky today.",  "I'm in pain all the time, so I can't be expected to help with...".  The list of excuses goes on and on, and could continue forever. 

Those of us with chronic pain, or any chronic suffering, need to be VERY careful not to abuse relationships we have because of our limitations.  Knowing our limits is wise, but using our lack of health as an excuse to do what we know God is asking us to do is a waste.  I think people expect less of those who have chronic health issues, so it is especially easy for us to become lazy in doing what is good and what we need to do.  It is easy to let ourselves have bad attitudes because: "everyone will understand that I'm just having a 'bad day'".  While we do have "bad days" it doesn't excuse an attitude of grumbling and complaining.  I saw this quote on facebook and had to post it here:

"Even if our own troubles are great, we should still serve. Jesus washed His disciples feet on the way to the cross." ~ Tim Keller

This of this next time you are tempted to come up with a great excuse.

AND Happy Mother's Day to all of you beautiful, wonderful, caring mothers out there (my own sweet mama being #1!)

No comments:

Post a Comment