Sunday, June 6, 2010

Job

When I think of a Biblical character who went through suffering (physical or otherwise) Job is right at the top of the list. The story of Job is that he was a righteous man and Satan thought that Job only followed and loved God because of all the blessings and easy life that God had given to Job. So, God gave permission to Satan to test Job by causing trials in his life. And wow how that trials came! Job lost his children, his house, his health ... everything "good" was stripped away from Job.

There are a lot of great lessons in the story of this man - read the whole book of Job if you never have - and even if you have this story can be great to read over and over again.

One of the most important things that I have learned from the story of this man is that sickness, trials, pain, suffering are not a result (always) of sin or making wrong choices. There is a bigger picture than just this little piece that we see - this piece that is so full of pain for so many of us. Job was a good man. And he still suffered great agony in every way - but he never turned his back on God. So many times people will hint that I am in pain or suffering so much physically because I don't have enough faith or that I am being punished for something. I am so far from perfect, that if God was a God of vindictive punishing I would be very deserving! BUT, the Bible is clear that many times physically pain and illness is part of a bigger plan.

As I struggle through the pain - it helps to keep my eyes on the face of God and the fact that He sees the bigger picture! That picture that I will see someday - how He was using and redeeming the suffering He has allowed in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment