Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crisis


cri·sis

noun
1.
a stage in a sequence of events at which the trend of all future events, especially for better or for worse, is determined; turning point.
2.
a condition of instability or danger, as in social, economic, political, or international affairs, leading to a decisive change.
3.
a dramatic emotional or circumstantial upheaval in a person's life.
4.
Medicine/Medical .
a.
the point in the course of a serious disease at which a decisive change occurs, leading either to recovery or to death.
b.
the change itself.
(from dictionary.com)

I've been thinking a LOT over the past months about crisis.  Seems like every other day I hear about a friend or family member facing some kind of crisis situation: diagnosis of cancer, marriage troubles, infertility, financial crisis, trips to the ER, loss of a job or house, premature birth of a baby, death of a loved one, change in location, change in relationship status.... Over the past months my own family has been touched by some of these scenarios.  My Husband and I are well-acquainted with a variety of crises (change of our plans to move to Zambia and adopt there, health turning points both good and bad ...)  The older I get the more I see that crisis is part of pretty much every one's life.  As I have witnessed people I love (and been involved in crises of our own) go through crises, the thing that keeps popping into my mind is that crisis can either make us better or bitter.  While we may not have control over many things that happen in our lives -  two different people when faced with the same crisis can have totally opposite reactions.  I have seen families torn apart by crisis, but I have also seen families come closer together in love and acceptance of each other's differences through the same situation.  I have seen people turn their back on God because of crisis, but I have also seen people turn TO God through crisis.  I have felt bitterness well up inside me when crisis hits, but I have also experienced great peace and joy and growing through crisis.   I have seen others (and myself) panic and judge others when in crisis, and I have also seen people put aside their differences and love each other through crisis.

So I guess the point of this post is just to remind us all that while we cannot control when or how crisis hits, we CAN control how we respond during times of crisis.  Will we use the turning point to God's glory and the good of others, or not.  We can choose to accept the hard times in life with grace, a generous spirit, thinking the best of others, and growing faith in God.

Don't wait til you are in the middle of crisis to choose how you will respond.

What will your choice be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment