Monday, August 30, 2010

What's for dinner?

What to make, what to make? Days that are either super busy or just super full of pain make it hard to make or even want to think of making dinner. When I was single I would just eat a bowl of yogert or crackers or popsicle and call it a day. But now that my life includes a husband - and one with a good appittite (how can he eat so much?) I find that I need to be more creative and find ways to feed him even when I don't feel like eating dinner let alone making dinner!

Today was one of those days. I found myself trying to lay down at every possible moment - in between my duties of caregiver, freezing some over-ripe peaches, doing dishes, changing the bed (the last of which was impossible to resist a quick nap - ahhh the bed is nice and clean and MADE!) But then the realization that my sweet husband would be hungry (and maybe even extra hungry since today was his first day back to school - GOOD JOB BABY!!!) hit me hard. What was I going to make?

Open the fridge: oh joy - we had leftover taco meat from tacos the other night (which I made extra of thinking that this day would come). So I thought i would make enchilladas. BUT, nah my body was too tired to individually cook each tortilla - so instead I made a quick and easy toco casserole. Here's what I did:
take corn tortillas (healthier than white flour) lay them on the bottom of a greased casserole dish - then have fun layering with meat, beans, cheese, salsa, onions, tomatoes, and do it all over again until you reach the top of the dish. Finish with enchillada sauce and cheese - bake til hot - YUM! Now if you find that tomatoes are bad for you skip those - I made a dish for my Love and one without the offending veggie for me. You can do this vegetarian or use chicken or really anything you would put in a taco - brown rice, corn etc.

Doing meals like this that are simple and can be as healthy as you want them to be, makes life better in many ways.
1. you have more time to rest which helps with your pain
2. you don't end up just whinning about how much pain you are in and this can help your significant other feel less burdened by your pain.
3. you don't end up just eating a cracker for dinner which is NOT healthy! (I'm preaching to myself here!)

Have fun and please let me know what you are making for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment