Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Healthy Snacks

The more and more I learn about food in general and specifics about nutrients and such, the more I realize that it takes time and energy to eat healthy. Even more to feed a hungry husband! My challenge today is snacks for him to take to college classes with him. I don't want to just give up and buy a ton of cheep granola bars that are full of saturated fats and stuff - and the healthy snacks are so expencive. What to do?

Today I made a few fun snacks that were surprizingly simple to do.

#1 : Honey roasted almonds: I took some vegetable oil (olive oil would be better but i couldn't find it!) and honey melted it and coated the almonds - then a baked at 300 degrees until bubbly and salted when done - YUM! Easy to make, relatively healthy AND easy to pack!

#2 : Humus: I took a can of cooked garbanzo beans, added 3 cloves of fresh garlic, salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes and vegetable oil (again I would have used olive but couldn't find it - and i would have used lemon juice too but don't have any). In a food processor I blended until humus consistency. YUM!

what are you having for a snack today??

No comments:

Post a Comment