Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jelly Beans

Who ever knew that jelly beans could be so ... cruel! They just sit there in the dish staring at me with their tantalizing colors and wide range of flavors as if to say: "you can't resist me!" Hmmppfff.

Well, Mr. Jelly Bean, I CAN.

My doctors have told me that sugar is very hard on my body as it lowers the immune system and makes inflamation worse. Those who know me personally know that I have a serious sweet tooth for candy and chocolate. Oh and ice cream ... lucious ice cream! And I am not one of those people who can eat just one .. or like my big sister who got a huge candy cane one year for Christmas and allowed herself only ONE lick per day for over a year ... (I think she eventually threw it away). No way folks - if I start eating a chocolate bar I will finish the whole thing. And generally if candy is anywhere in sight I will eat it faster than you can say, "chocolate bunny". I know that my lack of discipline with candy has been a weak spot for me and that it definately wasn't honoring of God with my body.

But I have found renewed discipline in what I eat. My secret? Accountability. My husband decided to go off sugar with me and because he is such a good sport at trying things like agave and stevia leaves, it gives me zeal for being good myself. Now, i haven't been perfect - but I have been better than ever before since he joined me. Then one of my close friends needed to go on a no sugar diet - as well as no wheat which I am supposed to be doing as well. Because in her case this diet modification could save her life I have the strongest motivation to be strong on my no sugar and wheat "diet". I know that she needs someone to be in this with her and it helps me to have her in this with me. We can encourage each other and share recipies for healthy food.

I bring this up because in chronic pain situations or any kind of illness there are usually diet modifications or food allergies or restrictions that can greatly help. It can be hard when you don't feel like cooking to go for the healthy things, but it is so important! Not that a little grace isn't required - but to choose wisely and treat our bodies like the gift from God that they are.

Find good motivation and accountability and you too can win the battle of the Jelly Bean.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like jelly beans. My kids never ate much chocolate. They liked Skittles, Starburst, Twizzlers, all that fruity stuff. Easter baskets were always OK to have around for me. I didn't like any of it. Now the Easter Bunny cake was a different story!
    mo

    ReplyDelete