Thursday, October 6, 2011

Flexibility

There are quite a few sayings about flexibility and endurance that I have heard over the years.  Here are some of my favorites:

"Roll with the punches." -?
"Be like a duck and let the bad stuff roll off your back." - Paraphrase by My Farmer Boy
"Buck up babe." - another from my Farmer Boy

Life on this earth will always carry things that are not particularly fun.  It's essential for growth.  When a caterpillar becomes a butterfly it involves a lot of hard work, when a baby chick hatches it's difficult and not easy, when a human baby is born it's poor head gets all squished and it's exhausting for the baby (not to mention the mama!) ... Life involves these times of trying and stretching and yes even hurting for growth.

I am the kind of person who likes to be organized, on time, clean (well unless I'm working in the yard), and scheduled.  Not that I don't love a nice spontaneous date or other fun surprises - but in general I like to know what's going on and be prepared.  This evening I was again reminded that I am not in control.   Everything I was looking forward to for the evening and the weekend changed and I had/have the choice to learn from this and let it be what it is - or fight it and be miserable.   After all, I'm not in control, and the more I see that and turn to God when things start spinning (rather than try harder to control the situation) the deeper my relationship with Him will be. 

And in the end that is what matters most to me. 

1 comment:

  1. I think being in charge all the time would be a horrible responsibility. I am glad that we have to relinquish control sometimes.

    Hope you are feeling well today.

    ReplyDelete