Saturday, October 1, 2011

One of My Favorite Snacks

Yum.  Last night being Friday night I wanted something weekend-ish to nibble on as my sweet Husband and I watched a movie (which actually was a DVD for one of his college classes - but I'll take what I can get as far as quality time with my very busy Student!).  What I love about this snack is that unlike most caramel corn recipies this doesn't use any refined sugar or corn syrup.  I also love how easy and quick it is!  Here is my recipe:

Honey Caramel Corn
About 6-8 cups popped corn (more for less fat version)
4-5 cups rice chex (gluten free!)
put the corn and cereal in a large cake pan.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees (you can bake at higher temp if you are in a hurry but you'll have to check on it a lot to be sure it doesn't burn)
in a saucepan melt together:
1 cube butter
1 cup honey
heat honey mixture until it bubbles together
then pour over corn mixture and toss so that it coats well
bake until lightly browned about 30 minutes

(variation: add flax seeds or any nuts of seeds for some healthy protein!)

store in an airtight container (if you have any left!)

Hope you enjoy!!

1 comment: