Monday, April 5, 2010

Eating Healthy

In our culture you hear so so so much about eating healthy and loosing weight and all these fad diets ... but for those in chronic pain the issue of eating healthy is much deeper. This week with Easter I have been eating a lot of jelly beans that people have given to us ... and if we're being honest all month I have been eating much worse than I should. Some of this is due to a gluten test that the doctor has me doing before biopsies that I will be having next week to see about if I have celiac. Because of this I have been enjoying eating a lot of things that I don't normally eat. At first it didn't seem like a big deal - but after a month of eating poorly I am noticing that my pain level is skyrocketing. The ironic thing is that when you are in a lot of pain or sick the last thing that you want to do is cook or plan any meals - let alone healthy meals! I usually just wish that I could eat something easy and fast and often not what is best for me - something soothing like a popsickle or ice cream or fruit snacks. Often nausea goes hand in hand with pain, and so fighting to eat meat in particular is very difficult. This is an area that I feel I can definately grow in and I need to grow in. I think this is one of the most important tools for managing pain and managing life in general - pain or no pain!

1 comment:

  1. Ali,

    I will have you in my prayers as you get this biopsy done! Thanks for sharing that with us! I will be praying that if you have Celiac, the Lord will lead your doctor to the damaged villi, so that you can diagnosed and get well! I know you have been through so much. And I SO relate to the fatigue, fatigue is such a Debby Downer! Drives me bonkers! lol.

    Hang in there, I know eating a bunch of junk before testing is kinda fun and then so painful at this point! Ouch!

    Hugs to you!
    Loving your blog!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete