Friday, February 12, 2010

THIS is the Day!

When I wake up in the morning I instantly know the level of activity or "productivity" that I will be able to handle that day. Often I have made plans but when I wake up realize that I can't follow through. I am learning that a great tool for fighting against grief is in planning well and allowing my schedule to change if needed. When I feel stuck in an obligation that I can't follow through on, or a list of things I need to get done that I simply can't do that day I can get very sad.

Today I know that because of my pain level and shortness of breath that I will have to spend most of the day on the couch. And that is ok. Learning to accept our limits is essential to preventing further grief. Rather than wake up thinking of my messy house, or cookies that I wanted to bake for Valentine's day, I need to focus on what I can do while laying low: pray for others, read, maybe work on our budget ... and rest so that maybe tomorrow I can feel better. By shifting my mental state from feeling that I have to be DOING all the time it helps me enjoy moments that God has given to me for rest and reflection.

Like the song my Momma used to wake us with in the mornings: "THIS is the Day that the Lord has made: I WILL rejoice and be glad in it!"

1 comment: