Sunday, March 21, 2010

30 years

Today my husband and I threw a surprise 30ith wedding anniversary party for my new in-laws. A few months ago my new mother-in-law mentioned that she would like a party this year - so I knew that this was something we needed to do. But with my health it was a daunting task. I think one of the most important lessons I learned from this experience was to delegate. I asked ladies from the church to bring finger food - so that the only thing I would need to bake or cook was the cake (and I got help with that too!), my husband helped me do all the shopping we used disposable dishes and live primroses as centerpieces ... everything went off perfectly and I didn't kill myself doing it! Just because I am in pain all the time and have the energy of a snail doesn't mean that I can't do special things for the loved ones in my life.

Watching my new father-in-law singing the song he sang to his young bride 30 years ago brought tears to my eyes. They have had challenges and trials over the years but they are still together. It made me think of where my Husband and I will be in 30 years. If God sees to give us life that long I see us very much in love as we are today but deeper. The reason that I see this and that I feel I can be secure in this is because of the glue that holds us together - God. I don't think we could endure the stresses and pain of life without God at the center of our marriage. I know that my new in-laws would say the same.

Oh may God give us the grace to keep our eyes on Him and to hold on tight when the road gets slippery.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely party. I'm so glad you had help and found the energy to keep going!
    mo

    ReplyDelete