Sunday, January 31, 2010

Half-Full

Well, one month of this blog adventure is coming to an end! I can't believe that I have been able to do this every single day so far! My goal is to write every day to help with my experiment of exploring happiness while in pain - as well as to encourage those of you who might be reading as well.

Today my parents had us over for a family dinner after church, and my siblings and their kids were also there. It was nice to see everyone and to play with the nephews. But I have not been feeling well all day, so finally it became clear to me that we needed to come home. No one else was leaving, but my husband and I said our good-byes and left. I could have felt upset than my body once again made me have less time with those that I love - but the attitude I am choosing today is to be thankful for the time that I did get to spend. So much of this different kind of happiness is in choosing (and yes it IS a choice) to see the glass half-full rather than half-empty!

As an experiment this week why don't you purposefully focus on the good things and force yourself to not dwell of the things that you have lost because of pain or illness. Please share with me what you find out!

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog somewhat regularly and it has really inspired my outlook lately. :)

    A couple nights ago being ill kept me up all night, which normally would leave me deeply depressed by morning, but for the first time in months I was able to be honestly happy just for the sake of joy itself. This time, when I answered my husband's morning question about why I hadn't gone to bed, he seemed so genuinely shocked by my mood that he asked how I could be smiling so big. I told him it was because I was so proud of myself for being happy anyways! So thank you for the contagious positive outlook. :D

    ReplyDelete