Friday, January 15, 2010

Letting Others Help

Today I have a chest cold on top of my every-day situation. So I was not feeling like getting on here and talking about happiness .. but then I got a note from one of my "followers" a new friend and the encouragement gave me a boost. THANK YOU! There is an area that is so hard to accept sometimes as someone who is in pain and that is accepting help from others. It is funny because everyone in the world needs help in some form at some point in their lives. I have already talked about reaching out to others which I think is essential to choosing life over self-pity. But there is a flip side and that is being a gracious recipient of the help and love of others. I have have a long fight over not wanting others to help me - when I was in college I was so stubborn I would pass out from the pain rather than tell my profs that I needed to miss a class or ask someone to help me up the stairs. Looking back that is was stupid of me! There were lots of people who wanted to help me, but my own pride and selfishness made everything worse. God has brought me a long way from those days. He has used my amazing family, church and most of all my loving husband to show me that it is ok to allow others to help. My husband feels so much better if I am in a lot of pain if I tell him something that he can DO to help.

When we let our pride get in the way it robs others of a chance to be involved in blessing our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet girl,

    You hang in there. Beautiful blog. Keep it coming.

    I feel like you were just telling my story. it's amazing the healing and self awareness that comes even in our most troubling pain.

    Hugs to you. May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you. And give you peace. Love that song.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete