Friday, January 29, 2010

Knowing When to be Quiet

When I was little, my wise Mama used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Tonight, I feel sad and uneasy about something very hard that I need to do tomorrow. It's an emotional drain on me, but something that I need to do. It's a good thing, but very difficult.

Tonight would not be a good night for me to talk about my pain. When faced with other stresses and sadness in life - sometimes physical pain can seem even worse than it is. I think an important part of learning to live with illness and pain is knowing when you are weaker emotionally, and knowing that it isn't the best time to make decisions or have serious conversations about anything important. Tonight is a night for resting, and breathing one breath at a time.

And there is joy in knowing that the day after tomorrow will come soon, and all of this will be in the past - an opportunity for growth. And that makes me smile...

..even in the tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment